Saturday, May 12, 2007

Journal Week One - First time in Studio - Camera













My first real crack at studio work was as a camera operator, or CAM. I was pretty nervous as it was my first time in the studio for 'Hello Riverina', and I found steering the massive vinten tripod around pretty difficult. I know you're meant to take total responsibility for any hassles, difficulties, mistakes etc you make, but I do have a back injury that did add to the difficulty of moving the tripod. Also, I think the monitors on the top of the cameras make it hard to tell if theres any bad shadows from booms or cameras, and also checking to see if you have perfect contrast, due to the stark black and white contrast of the monitors themselves. The rehersals went ok, when it came to the record though, things started getting hectic. In my haste to get to the next shot, I broke away from my previous shot, saw there were cable bashers behind me, and in my attempt to get around them, I hit Mikah, one of the other CAM's in the side of the head with the teleprompter on my camera. It was a complete accident, and I felt really bad all day. I blame Osama Bin Laden. All in all though, it was a good learning experience, and I had fun.

No comments: